Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fall Apple Picking

We have been apple picking every fall for several years now. It is one of our favorite things to do together as a family. We spent the afternoon in Julian, California sampling apple cider, apple pie, and carmel apples. Then we got to work and picked our own apples at an orchard just outside of town. (sidenote: this area has been evacuated today due to wildfires. We are not threatened here, near the coast, but the air quality is extremely poor. The air is dark with smoke and particles.) We picked several bags full of apples and really enjoyed ourselves. This week we did many fun things with our apples. We ate them raw, we made applesauce, we used them as stamps to make art, and we also made Grandpa Jack's Favorite Applesauce Cookies- a personal favorite of mine too. I messed up the recipe so I had to double it and ended up making about 12 dozen cookies. I was baking all day, but I have enjoyed having the cookies around- maybe a little too much. I was wishing I could take several dozen to Grandpa so that he could enjoy them too. The cookies will always remind me of him and I have been thinking about him constantly. Apple picking was a fun way to bring in the fall as it always is.


6 comments:

Natalie said...

That's a cute pic of Mitch! :) So I didn't realize you made the cookies from the apples you picked! Wow! Impressive sister.

Jenna said...

Those are some great Fall pictures. What a fun activity! You definitely get the award for most creative activity ideas. I'm always impressed with the things you and your kids do!

pinkmorning said...

what cute pictures! it looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

Lyf2.0 said...

Angie... how are you guys doing with all the fires? I've been thinking about you guys.

Rachel said...

I have been wanting to start this tradition after hearing of yours and Melissa's autumn escapades... I have had trouble finding a local orchard. Love the pics! You guys are so cute!

Becky said...

Looks like a fun outing! I love the blue and pink "tv chairs." So fun!